What I Am Living For

My journey into contemplative spirituality (if that is what it should be called) began over seven years ago when I discovered Thomas Merton. For so many years, he was a sort of boogeyman within the Catholic circles I ran in. So many people had advised me to avoid him, which I did for well over a decade. But, as my life developed and matured, I found myself taking a chance on reading something about Merton.  This has led me to seeing the world and my faith with new eyes.  Fast forwarding five years after that encounter, I was fortunate to be able to contribute a short essay, in a collection edited by Jon Sweeney called What I Am Living For, on how Thomas Merton has impacted my life.  As I re-launch this blog, which has sat dormant for a few years, I wanted to begin by pointing to the one who really started me on this path that I am still on.  

My contribution comes in the form of a short essay found in part two of the book. I describe how I came to first appreciate Merton after many years of avoiding him. So, if you are a fan of Thomas Merton or simply curious about him, this book provides plenty of insights. Merton helped to nurture and rediscover the importance of contemplation for both monks and lay people, while also being outspoken in the various social issues of the day, many of which remain. What I am Living For was released in 2018 to coincide with the 50th anniversary of Merton's death. 



Comments

Popular Posts