An Adequate Contemplative

The importance of silence is so often minimized in our culture, and even at times in the church. From authors such as Thomas Merton and Thomas Keating to Eugene Peterson and Rob Bell, there seems be a greater recognition in the church that a return to contemplative silence is ever so necessary in our times. Since very early on, embracing silence in prayer has had an important role in the lives of many believers (and even non-believers) both in Christian and other religious traditions. From the Great Silence that is adhered to during an Ignatian or Zen retreat to a moment of silence that is observed after the death of a famous athlete or national tragedy, there is general acceptance to the value to silence. My guess is that most would be unable, if pressed, to respond as to what silence actually does or represents, but there would be a general agreement that there is some significance in doing or observing silence.

This is something that I have certainly experienced, as I have made observing a regular period of silence each day the foundation of my spiritual life. I have found that following the contemplative path comes with very few moments of consolation. (Even now, as I begin this blog, I am struggling to find purpose and meaning in the intentional silence that I enter each day.) Yet, I can say, without a doubt, that it has radically transformed my prayer life, exposed areas in my own life that needed healing, and has helped me to slowly come to a greater understanding of the reality of God’s mercy and love. 

My hope is that this blog will encourage the reader to commit to regularly taking time out of their day to sit in intentional silence, allowing themselves to be present to God. There are, of course, dozens of books that encourage this, many of which have even been of great help to the me. However, the perspective I would like to present here is that of a married man (in his early 40's) with three young children, instead of that of a monk or nun, a spiritual master, or college professor. I am a high school theology teacher, who probably drinks too much coffee, doesn’t get nearly enough sleep, worries about the family budget each month, and enjoys watching Star Trek and Psych with his wife. I have a graduate pontifical degree in theology from a Catholic seminary, but have increasingly become unsatisfied with conventional answers to the many theological questions I once either assumed or took for granted. In sum, a person who is struggling with everyday life and can only be described as an adequate contemplative.

Comments

Popular Posts